This component is at the core of Asigra Cloud Backup™. Installed in an enterprise or service provider data center, or in an IaaS cloud, the DS-System efficiently aggregates data from all remote DS-Clients and maintains, manages and validates the online backup repository.
How it works
Typically installed in a secure offsite hosting facility on either physical or virtual infrastructure, the DS-System is offered for Windows or Linux and is compatible with a range of storage architectures, including:
- Direct-attached-storage (DAS)
- Storage area network (SAN)
- Network-attached storage (NAS)
A single DS-System may be used to provide backup/restore services to one or more DS-Clients, supporting both single-tenant and multi-tenant cloud environments with no special licensing or configuration required.
DS-System can be deployed in multiple configurations to ensure maximum reliability of backup, recovery and restore services.
High Availability (HA) N+1 — This configuration, with its redundant grid of nodes, provides further scalability, performance and high availability, and allows the DS-System to withstand failures of up to half minus one of the nodes in the cluster without interruption. Additional nodes also help scale the performance of the grid by providing additional backup and restore processing resources.
Replication — Optional offsite replication provides additional redundancy and Disaster Recovery (DR). DS-Clients can be configured to automatically failover to the replica DS-System for both backup and restore activities. In prolonged outages, the replica DS-System can be promoted to be the primary DS-System.
Replication / Failover
Replication / Failback
DS-Systems are available in several variations to meet your configuration requirements:
- Full-Featured — Accepts connections from all variants of DS-Client
- Mobile — Accepts connections from:
- Consumer — Available for Windows, the DS-System Consumer may be used to provide backup/restore services to one or more DS-Consumer Clients under the same accounts or under different accounts. It accepts connections from:
Enhance the efficiency of your backup and recovery infrastructure with additional modules that augment the core backup and restore capabilities of the DS-Client and DS-System.
- Backup Lifecycle Management — Classify multiple tiers of backup data based on SLAs, Business Continuity plans and retention policies, and then automatically migrate those tiers based on a set schedule and policy to lower-cost backup storage.
- LAN Storage Discovery — Understand and analyze the behavior of your data to design optimal retention policies and determine storage needs and costs.
- Virtual Disaster Recovery — Perform efficient, low-impact backups of VMware virtual machines. The Local DS-VDR module allows you to turn on a backup copy of the virtual machine in your local environment, while Remote DS-VDR component enables failovers to a warm spare in a remote data center while you recover the primary site.
- Snapshot Manager — Efficiently back up large data stores and achieve aggressive Recovery Point Objectives and Recovery Time Objectives by integrating hardware-based data protection methods such as snapshots. Asigra Snapshot Manager simplifies configuration, management and scheduling of backups and restores with a “single pane of glass” view of all snapshots in the environment.
- Billing — Use a single, automated billing system to track and generate invoices for all your backup and recovery services. As a fully integrated and complimentary component, the DS-Billing module provides a consistent, easy-to-use and customizable approach to billing activity.
Explore Asigra Cloud Backup
Asigra’s enterprise-class backup and recovery software provides a complete range of features that ensure the maximum in reliability, security, manageability and affordability.
Purpose-built for public, private and hybrid cloud architectures, Asigra Cloud Backup is equipped with:
- Agentless software architecture for easier deployment and management
- Global de-duplication and data compression technology
- NIST FIPS 140-2 certified security, including AES 256 encryption
- Continuous Data Protection to enable data recovery back to any point in time
Get more information
The following resources provide further details about this topic: