Agentless Cloud Backup
Asigra Cloud Backup™ requires no agents, which makes it inherently easier to install and support than legacy backup and recovery solutions.
Cloud backup and recovery software typically requires agents that are installed on host servers that a system administrator wants to back up. Even in a modest-sized environment, agent management can get extremely complex when an administrator is forced to deal with different operating systems and revision levels. The complexity of agent management is further complicated by the growing number of software packages that also require agents running on the same host servers, or what is also referred to as “agent pollution”.
With traditional agent-based backup software one has to perform the following steps to perform backups:
- Take an inventory of the applications and servers that need to be protected on the customer’s LAN
- Share it with the partner/vendor/Service Provider (Disclose network information)
- Ensure the configuration is accurate and buy the appropriate number of agents
- Buy additional agents when you add servers, applications, databases
- Upgrade all agents each time there is a hot fix or new version of the agent software
- Application disruptive – servers with hot fix or new version of the agent software need to be rebooted
Asigra does not require any agents to be installed for each machine or application that needs to be protected, instead it reaches out over the network to back up operating systems, file systems, and applications, using industry standard programming interfaces. Agents pose a major security risk because they require an open port on the firewall.
Asigra = Agentless
- Multi-Site License (Capacity-based)
- Add servers, applications, databases on the fly
- Zero touch silent upgrades
- Client software can be Mass Deployed to unlimited number of sites within minutes
- Non-application disruptive – version upgrades are silent and do not require a reboot
Reasons Agentless is Better
- Agentless architecture saves you time. Dealing with backup software agents is a cumbersome and mundane task that can be extremely time consuming. Matching agent revisions with operating system levels, researching compatibility issues, and other labor-intensive tasks are nonexistent when using the Asigra solution.
- Agentless architecture is easier to support. Additionally, many problems that occur while managing backup software are due to agent bugs and their incompatibility with host servers. Asigra is inherently easier to support and the risk of problems is reduced as compared to other solutions because of its agentless design.
- Agentless architecture is less resource-intensive. Traditional backup and recovery software puts agents onto servers, causing processing power to be stolen away from a server’s core application to feed the needs of agents. Asigra’s agentless architecture makes no such demands of the servers it is backing up.
- Agents pose a major security risk because they require an open port on the firewall.
For more information, download a whitepaper on agentless backup architecture: